Monday, March 2, 2009

An Unlikely Home

I have many confessions to make. Among them, I'm 38 years old. Growing up I didn't much like the Beatles. My closest involvement in a protest was wearing a "Free South Africa Now" tshirt. What does this matter?

I recently started selling some products on-line. After the obligatory dabbling with Etsy, I found a new site called 1000Markets. The story went that each seller would have the opportunity to join different market groups, finding the right fit and a sense of belonging. It all sounded well and good and the site looked nice so I set up shop. Once the first markets started rolling it felt a bit like High Scool gym class where the "cool kids" were picking their friends for teams and many artisans felt left out. Then another round started and I found myself able to join a group of eco-conscious artists. My products are environmentally responsible and the finishes I use are virtually edible. I felt justified being there, like I belonged. Then another market asked me to join, EarthBorn Jewelry. This market was right up my alley with an emphasis on natural design and a spiritual feel. I show only my "jewelry" here and the other artists' work is of such high caliber that I learn something new just by looking through the collections. And then another market asked if I would be interested in joining. The Peace and Love Market. Alright. I'm down with peace and love, even if I didn't feel much personal connection to the 60's and 70's. But they seemed to want me and I was honored. Since joining, the founders and members have reached out individually to welcome me and made me feel like I belong.

I am comfortable in the Eco and EarthBorn Markets. But I also feel comfortable in the Peace and Love Market. It is clear to me that the individuals who started this wonderful group are able to see beyond the labels that are used. Perhaps the ability to include others in non-judgement is an ability learned from experiencing such tumultuous times. Perhaps they just think I am older than I really am. But either way, the experience I have gained from joining 1000Markets and these three markets has been invaluable. The individuals that I have met along the way have helped me grow as an artist and a person. So after trying to set up this new blog and working to figure out twitter, it will be time to download a little Joe Cocker and Buffalo Springfield, spend some time in meditation, then bust out the organic beeswax polish. I am home.


http://www.1000markets.com/groups/peacelove

http://www.1000markets.com/groups/earthborn

http://www.1000markets.com/groups/ecofriendly

3 comments:

  1. lol! We knew you were a young'un!!! :D So glad you feel that you fit in because one thing we learned back then was to recognize true spirit...and that is what your work says :)
    Now where's that Buffalo Springfield??? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're really glad you feel comfortable with us, we're a diversified group of people from all walks of life and count yourself part of that diversity!!! Welcome!
    (I love organic beeswax polish, used it for years in my antique business)!
    Reduce! Reuse! Recycle!

    Peace, Debbie~
    aka Baubles Buttons & Beads

    ReplyDelete